So the hubster’s home made fish and (home made) chips recipe is one of my faaaaaavorites dinner mealios!! Enough said=)
Ingredients for Fish
-3/4 lbs of Cod
-appox 5 oz of Zatarain’s Fish Fry (half the bag ish)
-approx 1 inch high of vegetable oil in skillet of choice
Ingredients for Chips
- 1-1/4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup water, or as needed
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil for frying
DIRECTIONS FOR THE FISH:
-heat oil to approx 350F in skillet (we put the oil on medium heat)
-wash fish off in cold water thoroughly & drain off excess moisture
-cut fish into 1/2 inch wide strips and season with salt and pepper to taste
-pour Zatarain’s fish fry into bag along with fish (seal bag) and shake it up real good so the fish is coated evenly =)
-fry a few pieces of fish at a time until batter is light golden brown–remove and drain on absorbent paper (paper towels work fine)
DIRECTIONS FOR THE FRIES:
this recipe he found on all recipes.com Homemade Crispy Seasoned Fries!!
- Slice potatoes into French fries, and place into cold water so they won’t turn brown while you prepare the oil. The longer the cold potato bath the better!!
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. While the oil is heating, sift the flour, garlic salt, onion salt, regular salt, and paprika into a large bowl. Gradually stir in enough water so that the mixture can be drizzled from a spoon.
- Dip potato slices into the batter one at a time, and place in the hot oil so they are not touching at first. The fries must be placed into the skillet one at a time, or they will clump together. Fry until golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.
malt vinegar– a must to dip you fish into
New Castle Beer– the perfect way to wash down a lovely English original
Zesty red sauce–so I kinda made this up but here is what I threw together to dip my fries into… all of this is an approximation
-2 tbs of ketchup
-1 tbs of mayo
-1/2 tsp of horseradish
-1-2 tsp of Worcestershire